On March 23-25, 2011, the Society presented our first national conference, Leadership Through Collaboration, at the Westin Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego, CA. In addition to a series of fantastic keynote speakers, breakout sessions, and roundtable discussions, we also launched discussions for the strategic plan for the Society's upcoming membership year, 2011-2012. We would like to share with you some of the highlights of the conference as well as next steps for the Society.
- Dr. Howell Weschler presented his traditional “federal update,” including detailed information, public for the first time, regarding DASH’s reorganization. DASH has put most of this information up on their website: www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/about/reorg_faq.htm
- Dr. Jeff Perry was our second keynote speaker; his presentation about brain-based learning will be made available on the Society’s website soon. Look for an announcement in the News You Can Use when the new page is ready.
- We presented a Year in Review update of the Society’s work that you can find attached to this letter. If you have any questions, please feel free to email Patricia (email@example.com).
- The committees began drafting new annual goals for the Society’s strategic plan. This work will continue on committee calls over the next two months and be completed in time for the new membership year beginning June 1, 2011. For more information, or to get involved with your committee, contact your committee chair (contact list attached).
- The leadership transition for the Society began during the conference; the transition will be complete at the start of the new membership year, June 1, 2011. Outgoing chairs and Executive Committee members will continue to serve along with incoming chair-elects and Leadership Council members during this transition period.
- Making the Connection II is still in clearance at DASH. We have established a dedicated web page for this tool; you can visit the page to sign up for notification when it becomes available: www.thesociety.org/programs-making-connection.asp
Congratulations to the following individuals recognized during our Honors Luncheon, sponsored by HealthTeacher:
Simon A. McNeely Honor Award
Russ Henke Distinguished Service Award
Julian Smith Certificates
Linda Morse and Kathy Brothen
Nancy Hudson and Patricia Anderson
Certificates of Appreciation
Committee Chair Elects
We have a lot of new members to celebrate, many of whom were able to join us at the conference! Please join us in welcoming:
Mary Ann Reed
Mary Ann Simpkins
We sincerely thank each of our sponsors, as well as the Professional Development committee and Society staff for all of the hard work and support that made our first national conference a success. Stay tuned for more information about our next conference and all things Society.
Kathleen J. Courtney Patricia K. Anderson
President Executive Director
To see presentations from the conference visit our resources page
by clicking here!